UPDATE: Bluehost has given me a special discount for my readers! You can set up your blog for as low as $2.75 per month! It comes with a FREE domain name!
Click here to get started with Bluehost, then follow the easy step-by-step tutorial below.
Today you will learn how to set up your blog. But first I want to give you an quick introduction about WordPress. WordPress started in 2003 and it was created to enhance online writing. It went from a few users to tens of millions of people using this blogging platform everyday.
I love WordPress because it allows to create anything I want. You see, even if you don’t want to make money out of it — it is an outlet to express anything online. For me, blogging has been a positive experience for me. I’ve created blogs in the music and in the business industry.
Are you still not convinced? Click here to see my best list of bloggers who are making money from their blogs. They turned their blog into a full-blown business.
It is possible to be financially independent with blogging. You just need to find that passion that fuels you everyday and be an inspiration to your readers in your chosen industry.
People have always asked me why create a blog and make money out of it. For starters, blogging is the easiest way to make passive income around a topic that you love. There are popular bloggers out there who make tons of money out of something they love doing. So why not do it?
When I started blogging, I did an extensive research on web hosting. (For those who are non-technical — web hosting is a service that hosts your blog). I usually go for three things: quality, value, and price.
I picked Bluehost as my web hosting provider. What is so great about Bluehost is that you will get a free domain name through my link. A domain name itself will cost you between $9 to $12 dollars. You can start a money-making blog for less than ten dollars today.
Why Start a Blog?
This is a simple answer. If you want to make money while working from home, then you should start a WordPress blog for cheap by choosing Bluehost for your hosting needs . Making money with blogging takes hard work, but it will cost you a few dollars to start. Many businesses out there start with thousands and thousands of dollars and it’s hard to image having that kind of money around.
If you want to get more exposure for your new or existing business, then it is essential that you should have a WordPress blog. We are living in a internet age world where we share knowledge and information online. For example, people share articles among their family and friends on Facebook. all the time. I’ll bet most of them are blogs.
If you can see the benefit from creating your own WordPress blog, then let’s get started!
What You Will Learn
- How to decide what to blog about
- How to find a domain name
- How to register your domain name and select your web hosting plan on Bluehost
- What to do after you select your web hosting plan
- How to design your blog
This is my step by step guide that contains on what I learned when I was a beginner. If you feel stuck, please contact me if you have any questions. I am here for you! This is an easy and simple format.
Step 1: Decide what to blog about
From personal experience, I would suggest to blog something that you enjoy. If you start a blog just to make money, it will be likely that you will stop blogging within three months and you don’t want that to happen.
Here are the main things that I do when I decide what to blog about:
- Close your eyes and imagine what you are good at and love doing everyday. Is this something that you look forward to every morning?
- Take a look at your past education or experience. Do you want to share your wealth of knowledge to your readers? Can you provide value?
- I want to be an authority in my industry. Do you want your readers to rely on you for advice and suggestions in your chosen niche?
When I started my blog, I wanted to be the go-to resource for readers who want actionable steps to eliminate their debt. I want to be open and honest about my finances and what works.
This should be the goal for any blogs.
Before we start step 2, I want you to be cautious about something. People get confused between two blogging platforms: WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
- WordPress.com is hosted
- WordPress.org is self-hosted.
This step by step guide for the self-hosted WordPress. This one is recommended because you have more flexibility in designing your blog. If you chose hosted, then you cannot use Bluehost. I feel that Bluehost is one of the best web hosting companies out there and you can start at $2.95 per month (only through my link).
Step 2: Find a domain name
Once you figure out what you want to blog about, it’s time to find a domain name. It took me a while to find a service that would help me pick out a good domain name.
I use a service called Namemesh. It’s a domain name generator that would help you mix and match new and existing words in a fun way. It uses various techniques and methods to generate new words that are very brandable. This is by far the best domain name generator.
Pick a name and try it out. Once you get the handle of it, think of a name for your service or product. Most importantly pick a name that is memorable. When you do pick a name and the domain name is available, please do not purchase the name through Namemesh. Your new domain name will be free when buy a hosting plan with Bluehost (through my link).
Step 3: Register your domain name and select your hosting plan
Now that you have a domain name that it’s available, let’s select your hosting plan and register your FREE domain name. You can click here to select your hosting plan and purchase a domain name for your blog.
You might feel that you want to wait a few days to make a decision and that’s completely fine. You can come back here and follow these steps. From my personal experience, there are big corporations out there who buy domain names for no reason. You need to act quick and buy your domain name.
- Select a plan: I would select the “most popular” plan because you will have unmetered website space and bandwidth. That means you can don’t have to worry about your overall performance. Select one and then let’s register your domain name next.
- Register your domain name: Type in your domain name in the “new domain” box.
- Create your account: Now you can create an account by filling out your personal information. Under “package” information, please choose an account plan. The longer the plan, the cheaper it is per month! If you plan on purchasing extras with your selected account plan, I would pick the Domain Privacy Protection and Site Backup Pro. What does that mean?
- Domain Privacy Protection helps you fight off spammers. Your personal information is private. If you chose not to, then your personal information will be available to the public. (This is recommended)
- Site Backup Pro will automatically back up your data. This is very important because you don’t want to lose your work. (This is recommended)
Step 4: Check your email for login information
Once you completed your purchase, please check your email. You will receive a welcome email with important information about your web hosting plan. Please keep this information somewhere safe.
Please login to Bluehost and type in your username and password.
Step 5: Install WordPress
Once you are logged in, it’s easy to install WordPress because it’s an one-click install. Bluehost makes it easy for you. Let’s get ready.
- Click on cPanel
- Click on “Install WordPress” under the website section.
- It will redirect you to the quick install page. Please click on “Install WordPress” and enter your WordPress user information.
- Admin email – Enter your email.
- Admin user – Enter your admin user. I personally would email as the username.
- Blog Title – Enter the name of your domain name (without the .com)
- First name and Last name – Enter your full name.
- Click the “Install WordPress” button
Please note: You will receive an email when WordPress installation has been completed. Please keep this information safe.
Step 6: Design your blog
Congratulations! Now you can use your blog. If you want to install free WordPress themes, go to Appearances and click on Themes. There are thousands of free WordPress Templates to install. I would suggest to pick a popular theme. For beginner’s tutorials on WordPress, please go to WPBeginner.com
TIP: Don’t Give Up Before Trying
In 2012, I’ve attempted to create a financial blog. I had a few posts and everything was going well. However, I pulled the plug before I’ve began. Don’t make the same mistake like I did. I thought that I didn’t had time to write because I was working a lot of hours at my first corporate job. Fours years later, I’ve deeply regret not doing it sooner. It takes hard work and dedication to maintain one, but anyone can do it.
There are actual people who are making money from their blogs. Most of them started their blog to figure out their own issues and then grew their community by providing great content to their new and existing readers.
Remember this: Content + Value = Happy Readers
Here are a few tips:
- Leveraging social media – How many times do you go on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter? You can easily put the same effort in building your blog and brand and sending out a message to gain new readers. Take advantage of every social media network out there. You are bound to get new readers.
- Writing great content – People go online to search for a solution. If you can provide a solution to a problem, then you are golden. For instance, if you have a travel blog and someone wants to know the best rewards cards for traveling, you can provide make a list that you actually had experience with. You need to add your personal experience in your content.
- Building a writing schedule – There is a saying that goes like this: The more you write, the better it is for your blog. I kind of disagree with this. You can everyday if you want to. What you really want to do is write content with great depth and research. I would rather write three long posts than five small ones. If you write three posts per week, your readers will expect three posts.
There you go! Don’t make the same mistakes that I did. I’ve came to realize that quitting wasn’t an option. If you don’t try, then you won’t know what would it be like for you. Click here to start your website today.
BONUS: Free WordPress Installation Service
Once you have purchased your web hosting plan, please contact me. All I need is your login and password. I am doing it for free because I want to help you out and I love WordPress. Here is an blog that I’ve helped setup: TravelingAnrchor.com
I hope you liked my tutorial on how to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost. Please share your thoughts!